TO REQUEST A PAPAL BLESSING
(Please note: This procedure and service is for parishioners in the Diocese of Tucson. If you live in another diocese, please contact the Bishop's Office of that diocese for information on Papal Blessings. )
Two types of Papal Blessings are available.
1. Papal Blessing Printed Certificate with photo of the Pope.
The Office of the Bishop places the order for this blessing through the Apostolic Nunciature in Washington, D.C. An offering of $20 is customary and should be made by check or money order payable to the "Apostolic Nunciature." Takes 2-3 weeks to arrive.
2. Papal Blessing on Parchment with photo of the Pope.
The Office of the Bishop places the order for this blessing through the Vatican. An offering of $45 is customary and should be made by check or money order payable to the "Servizio Assistenziale del Santo Padre." Takes 2-3 months to arrive.
Please provide the following information typed or hand printed in capital letters with each request:
1. Type of Papal Blessing you are requesting (Papal Blessing Printed Certificate or Papal Blessing on Parchment)
2. Name(s) of the people to receive the blessing.
3. The occasion that is being celebrated: wedding anniversary of a special nature (25th, 50th, 60th, etc.); special birthdays (80th, 90th 100th, etc.); reception of a Sacrament (First Communion, Confirmation, Matrimony). A general blessing for no specific occasion may also be requested.
4. Date of the occasion.
5. If for a wedding (Sacrament of Matrimony), the name of the church and its city and state.
6. The diocese to which the person(s) to receive the blessing belongs.
7. The address to which the blessing is to be mailed.
8. Your telephone number and, if available, your e-mail address.
Important: Each request must be accompanied by a written recommendation from a parish priest of the person(s) to receive the blessing or from a priest familiar with the person(s). The recommendation should attest to their good standing in the Catholic Church. In the case of a blessing for a wedding, both parties should be Catholics. For anniversaries, it is sufficient that one of the parties is Catholic. The recommendation should be on the parish letterhead and have the parish seal.
Please mail the information, the recommendation, and the check or money order well in advance of the occasion to:
Office of the Bishop
P.O. Box 31
Tucson, AZ 85702